Free Consultations
Toll free 800-584-0812

Slow Down and Get Speedie Get Speedie Legal Help and get back on the road!

Exterior of the Office Building of Tom Speedie | Attorney at Law, P.C.

If I live outside of Illinois, do I have to go there to get clearance to get a driver’s license back in my state?

If you live within 30 miles of the state line, yes, you have to come to Illinois for your hearing. If you live more than 30 miles away, you can fill out an “Out of State Packet,” and essentially have a hearing on paper. The rules and requirements are different for people that live in other states, and the Secretary of State cannot give a restricted driving permit to residents of other states.

Again, there are a lot of important decisions to be made: Go to a live hearing or complete an out of state packet? Get an evaluation locally, or come to Illinois to do it? There are plenty of others, too. I can help you through this process.